Campaigning anti-poverty charity War on Want is urging its supporters to add their voices in support of workers' rights and public services.
So far 28 unions, including the three largest - Unite, Unison and the GMB – have either completed or are in the process of balloting their members. In a nutshell, the government wants to make people pay more and work longer for a pension that will no longer keep up with price increases - what the TUC is calling the "triple squeeze".
War on Want believe that the proposed pension changes are part and parcel of the government's programme of cuts, which will increase poverty and fall hardest on the most vulnerable people in society - those who use public services the most. Our partners across the world have seen the effect of slashing public spending. We must not repeat the same mistakes.
In London, they will be joining the SERTUC march from Lincoln's Inn Fields from 12 noon to Victoria Embankment for the rally at 2pm. Look out for their banners.
Around the UK there are marches and rallies going on. Join your local action.
For a comprehensive listing of what is going on in your area, check out your regional TUC sites listed below:
- London, Southern & Eastern Region: www.tuc.org.uk/sertuc
- Northern Region www.tuc.org.uk/northern
- Yorkshire and the Humber Region www.tuc.org.uk/yorkshireandthehumber
- North West Region www.tuc.org.uk/northwest
- Midlands Region www.tuc.org.uk/midlands
- South West Region www.tuc.org.uk/southwest
- Scotland - http://www.pensionsjusticescotland.org.uk/adverts
- Wales - Wales TUC Pensions Justice Day March and Rally from 12pm Cardiff City Hall, Gorsedd Gardens Road, Cardiff CF10 3ND Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or for an interactive map showing many of these take a look at the Pensions Justice website http://pensionsjustice.org.uk/.